Achievement
Saturday 28 April, 2007
Yippee!!


"Finally the sweat and toil of three years has paid off! "


These are the words that reverberated in the air as one hundred and eighty students appeared for their final project viva today, completing the final lap of the race that we set out to win, three years back.
Three years of non-stop CAMs, TEMs, submissions, demos, seminars, lab file completions, not to forget the harsh Vellore Sun and Idly, rasam with curd. The latter may still continue in the lives of most of the batch, placed mostly in Bangalore and Chennai.. But who minds that, now that VIT is out of our lives? ;-) Plus I have warmed up to the idea of steaming hot Idlis and a hot cuppa coffee being a decent Breakfast dish as also the goodness of curd rice as a gentle soothing lunch in the sweltering Southern heat.
I still remember the first time I came to Vellore. The first sight was a man in the station lifting his Lungi into a mini skirt.. The second scene was a group of Auto drivers (later on renamed as Annas), shouting only two words "CMCaa?" and "VITaa?"! So we chose the best bargain amongst the half shouting "VITaa". The next scene was the auto's horn (more precisely, the "bhopu") blaring away its rubber belly to glory.. all the way to VIT. At 2 AM in the morning!
What came next can only be described as something out of a movie set.
From gigantic Technology towers to shiny black roads to the railways chugging their way through in between the campus.. It was going to be quite a surreal experience, I believed. And so it turned out to be. From the first day on, when I was told to open the EZ drive. I tried and tried, but EZ: just wouldn’t run! Psst.. a voice near me advised.. Try only the last letter. I did, and it worked! I exchanged my first wink . Since that day there’s been no looking back. When asked the spelling of my name "m-u-n-m-u-n" never worked. So I resorted to "yum-yoo-yen-yet yanother yum-yoo-yen", as naturally as I had gotten accustomed to curd rice in my life. Well, I didn’t have much of an option.Roti became pappad and pappad became Roti. Sambhar replaced Daal and buttermilk became my new energy drink. Two glasses of that, and I was ready to tackle Microprocessors (in second semester), Analysis of algorithms and design (in fourth semester) and Computer Graphics (in fifth semester). The bickering, the buttering, the betting and the bitching. Been there, seen it all. The only relief was the cool gang of friends I made there.

VIT Picassaed



We would sit in the last bench and look at people fight for the first,
We would watch people haggling for half a mark and grew wise about insanity and thirst
We would see the boy and the girl talk in semi-darkness and blush when someone came
And then we saw the girl breaking the boy’s heart when the fruitful moment came.
I guess Love’s just a game. For those who have no shame.
We saw the class getting divided into unequal groups of those who weren’t placed and those who were.
There were dreams that we all had seen together. But, which for them had only brought dejection.
And then we saw the morbid days of people avoiding glances and helplessness and rejection.

We saw friends ditch friends: nonchalantly and without any chagrin
Sweet memories and salty tears: both present at the funeral of friendship, killed and left to bleed in the bin of accumulated sin.

But somehow, we have endured it all and come out fresh and wise.
With friends I can rely on, all my life.

Those were the days when each day weaved magic into our lives.
The chuckles, the roars of laughter, adding music to the youthful years of College life.
And though they shall come back no more, the memories shall always be..
Que sera sera.. whatever will be, will be…

Labels:

 
posted by Munmun at 6:15 pm | Permalink


17 Comments:


At 4 May 2007 at 7:12:00 pm IST, Blogger Anitha

U r right man! finally out of VIT!!!! Last week when i was travelling from chennai to bangalore,I passed via the college.. It was a great relief to see that I dont have to get into the college anymore..... ;)

With luv,
anitha
http://vnanitha.googlepages.com

 

At 4 May 2007 at 9:25:00 pm IST, Anonymous Anonymous

hey mun-mun,
that's why i call u data redundancy... :D

 

At 7 May 2007 at 10:25:00 am IST, Blogger Munmun

Hi Ani!
yippee! I know.. From now on, I will also heave a sigh of relief whenever I cross VIT :-)

Hi Lui,
Very funny :-( Whats up with you? Public, private, protected, eh? Like your short and sweet post on VIT's last chapter :-D

 

At 7 May 2007 at 4:09:00 pm IST, Anonymous Anonymous

Congrats!! :-D I am sure it must be a great relief to step out of that place!! :-) I thoroughly enjoyed your tale of the autowalas and the yet-another!!! Enjoy girl!!

 

At 7 May 2007 at 6:11:00 pm IST, Blogger ARVIND

ya,you r right
i never liked idli,dosa etc. before coming to vellore But in vellore these were my favorites,becoz if you r going to have roti then u cant n will be hungry only.thank god we r out now

 

At 10 May 2007 at 12:24:00 am IST, Blogger M (tread softly upon)

Congrats to you! And that is such an awesome poem. Did you write it?

 

At 10 May 2007 at 12:07:00 pm IST, Blogger Munmun

Dear Eroteme,
Thank you!
Yes, it is an absolute relief. The sun was so harsh this time that I could feel even the bone marrow being sucked away by it! Yet-another reason for being happy: My viva was absolutely smashing!

Dear Arvind,
I completeley understand what you say about the mess rotis.Thank god we had the dhaba to save our appetites ;-)

Dear M(TSU),
Thank you!!
Yes, I wrote it. Did you really like it? :-O I don't feel I write too well. Sometimes i see what other bloggers write and I think "Why do I even write?!" :-)

 

At 10 May 2007 at 8:31:00 pm IST, Blogger M (tread softly upon)

OMG! That was absolutely brilliant. Can I fwd this to a few friends with your name of course? It was like you stole my thoughts and put them in verse.
And the feeling you talk about, is a common one. When I read other blogs I feel so small that I fel ready to almost give up writing. You write well so keep at it.

 

At 11 May 2007 at 10:58:00 am IST, Blogger Munmun

Dear M(TSU),
After what you commented, I went and re-read what I had written!:-) You are welcome to share it dear.. but its not 'brilliant'! :-D But now I do feel encouraged to write more ;-)

 

At 11 May 2007 at 7:05:00 pm IST, Blogger Phantom of the Blog

duuuude
congratulations!!
suure i would love to share the story with you
umm i didnt find an email adddress on here or ur profile but if you email me
ill email it to you
lastseenfiveyearsago@gmail.com

 

At 12 May 2007 at 10:58:00 pm IST, Blogger Nakshatra

as far as getting out of VIT is concerned a mixed feelings comes from my heart ...great relief as well as sad too...relief in the sence of starting different strokes of life but sad too of missing sooooooo many friends...missing hostel life...hot
gajras..ha ha ha...but as miss munmun says whatever
will be...will be so guys que sara sara...enjoy...n
just accept what life gives to u...

 

At 13 May 2007 at 8:41:00 am IST, Blogger mystic rose

loved the write up. congratulations!! :) reminds me of my own engg. college days. .. :)

 

At 14 May 2007 at 11:46:00 am IST, Blogger Munmun

Dear Phantom,
Thanks!! E-mailed you already :-)

Dear Nakshu,
This is the first time you are referring me as Miss Munmun! :-D Whats up dear?

Dear Mystic,
Thank you! Nostalgic memories creeping up, eh? :-) Thanks for stopping by!

 

At 26 June 2007 at 1:04:00 am IST, Blogger Rupesh

hey,
should have writen this before.. just to remind you again..
jottings from my notebooks

 

At 10 July 2007 at 8:44:00 pm IST, Blogger Eroteme

Wonderful new look!!

 

At 20 November 2007 at 10:33:00 am IST, Blogger Reema Sahay

Such wonderful lines. Words never fail to amaze me!

 

At 3 April 2009 at 12:01:00 pm IST, Anonymous Anonymous

I want to exchange link with you,my qq is 909325025, my blog is http://www.lacoste-polo-shirts.com