Angelic beauty
Wednesday 4 April, 2007


She wiped her tears on the end of her torn dupatta. Her long eyelashes closed in one last time jutting out the last tear and it trickled down from the corner of her eyes, down her cherubic face onto her wrinkled salwar , creating a small black pool, which faded away quickly, absorbed by the worn-out cotton dress and all that remained was a thin grayish line one minute later, a grim reminder of her trysts of eight long hours. Four hundred and eighty minutes of torturous struggle against the beast, clawing at her with its long dirt-filled fingernails, painted a bright red,
She opened her eyes and smiled.
She was free! It was over. At least for today.
She got up from the floor where she had lain for long, getting back her energy and sanity. The pink Lucknawi chikan salwar-suit she wore clung to her, among beads of perspiration which had formed on her body as a result of her tryst of the morning. As she got up, her long tresses followed her up, like an enchanted snake.
Looking at herself in the small mirror which hung by the door side, below the little lamp, her only source of light, in that dark building, she saw only one thing: Determination. That shocked her. Determination had never been her forte. She had always been a shy and diminutive girl, who wanted to be a Teacher one day at the Primary school, at the end of the road where she lived with her laborer parents, huddled inside one of the many jhuggis of JJ colony. That was seven years ago. Time had taken her to places, which she never knew existed.. The darkness of her experiences quelling all hopes of her securing a life for herself ever again. The scars of the last seven years had marred her life irrevocably.. And yet the light which shone in those proud eyes could not be mistaken for anything else than a strong determination for survival. And inadvertently, her tear-stricken face broke into a smile as radiant as the glow of the morning sun..

As she purged herself under the tap water and applied the attar of roses over her svelte frame, she sang on…

“ Only for today I shall live like a Queen,
Only for today I shall lose myself in the beauty
of the flowers and the bees..
And sway to the music of life, undisturbed, pristine
Que sera sera, Whatever will be, will be.. ”

Labels: ,

 
posted by Munmun at 11:44 am | Permalink


7 Comments:


At 5 April 2007 at 3:37:00 pm IST, Anonymous Anonymous

Well written,

In our day to day life we come across so many diverse forms of life that sometimes we are forced to think that we are so lucky. What u have pictured out here is quite a familiar situation in this male dominated Indian society, saddest part is its still there after we have celebrated our 50 years of independence few years back.
Fighting for cause of women is different, and helping one who has gone through the trauma is totally another thing. Seldom we get to know what is actually happening behind the so called “developing” society, things done against women are swiped under the carpet. Even if someone puts it up forward the sufferer is still the victim who has to again go through a series of atrocities.
The question is, as a part of the educated half what are we really doing??
Again the thought comes to my mind, how many different forms of life will I see?

 

At 12 April 2007 at 6:39:00 pm IST, Blogger M (tread softly upon)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and linking me. But you may have me confused with someone else :) Or atleast the name bit. But thanks anyway and hope you come back again.

 

At 12 April 2007 at 7:19:00 pm IST, Blogger Munmun

Dear Anonymous,
Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me.I agree with you in what you said about the half-truths of a developing society.
Please keep sharing your thoughts and visiting my blog :-)
Thank you so much!

Dear M(TSU),
I don't think I have confused you with someone else :-) I think we already know write a bit about each other, loyal as we are to Eroteme and his numerous posts :-)
Thought of tagging you along in my blog journey. You do write well :-) Keep up the good work dear!

 

At 12 April 2007 at 9:14:00 pm IST, Blogger M (tread softly upon)

With you on the Eroteme loyalty. But what I meant was that you were labeling me as 'Musings' and that suggested that you were confusing me with someone else :)
may be you should be looking at:
http://doorgagankichaonmain.blogspot.com/
But thanks for linking me :))

 

At 16 April 2007 at 2:13:00 pm IST, Blogger Reema Sahay

Hi,
I must say that your messages are really heartening and sweet. It is like talking to a friend, who knows you. This Blogging thing, I must admit, is amazing. By the way, I have started another Blog on wordpress but I guess I will continue this one also once in a while.
Honestly, I have never got that much time while I am connected to net, that I go through your entire blog although I have always wanted to. It looks interesting. And some day I would.
By the way, I have started Gym atleast and rest all will follow. I don't know but this is a thing with girls mostly, that they cannot stop thinking about their weight! I would love to notgive it so much importance, but it is a girl thing. Can't get rid of it.
Take care, will be back soon!

 

At 21 April 2007 at 5:42:00 am IST, Blogger Phantom of the Blog

hiii
thanks so much for your nice comments!!
glad you enjoyed it!
sorry this is like 7 days late
i just noticed it today. maybe like if you're brave enough i can show you an actual story i wrote.
and yeah i actually like your writing too!
it is really vivid and descriptive and i like it when you have to think about stories nad what happened. like they arent like this and then and then then the end. so yeah cool blog! i will check out the other posts too

 

At 7 May 2007 at 12:35:00 pm IST, Blogger Munmun

Dear penandpaper,
Great to note that you have joined a gym and that you came back and wrote a nice long comment. I haven't been able to check out your new blogs/posts due to time restraints. But I will read all of them in sometime.. Keep blogging! its a great thing to do!!

Dear phantom,
Its funny calling you so, as if you're some kinda spook or something ;-) I think i will survive the actual story you wrote. so please do share it :-)Thanks for liking the story. I am just trying hard to do something creative. Glad you liked it..